You know you’ve experienced it – that special “AHA!” moment of realization that seems to hit you when you least expect it. Some find it through meditation, self-reflection, brainstorming, creative pursuits, or spending time in nature.
We had our own “AHA!” moment one evening this time last year when AquaNew sponsored an ingenuity event in Sarasota. Keynote speaker, Walter Herbst, shared the inspiration for his “practical but sometimes crazy” ideas like the Pocket Fisherman, self-stirring fry pans and easy-grip tools for surgeons.
So, we had an innovative idea of our own. Why not invite people to share their Ahh-mazing “AHA!” Discoveries with us – one each month – over the course of a year? Below is a compilation of these discoveries …
Past “AHA” Discoveries:
- February 2015: Designer Walter Herbst, hosted by BIZ941 Magazine – Practical Tool Ingenuity
- March 2015: Dr. Steven Nissen, hosted by NPR Radio – Science Busting on Dietary Cholesterol
- April 2015: Theoretical physicist and Nobel Prize winner Peter Higgs – Higgs Boson “God Particle.”
- May 2015: Electromagnetic sensor used on glaciers – SkyTEM
- June 2015: Watt-Ahh inventor, Rob Gourley – Polarized Water stabilizing low concentrations of hydrogen peroxide for two years.
- July 2015: Comet Lander Philae’s potential discovery of alien life
- August 2015: NASA’s discovery of a habitable zone in the universe (Earth 2.0)
- September 2015: The faulty FTO gene’s effect on the body’s ability to burn fat – MIT and Harvard University
- October 2015: Discovery of an 11,000-year-old woolly mammoth fossil – donation to University of Michigan
- November 2015: App on early detection of disease within and near eyes – Created by Bryan Shaw and Greg Hamerly
- December 2015: The Truth Behind Santa’s Flying Reindeer (maybe)
- January 2016: A New Chemical May Breakdown Accumulated Plaque Associated with Causing Alzheimer’s Disease – Korean Institute of Science and Technology
- February 2016: Researchers Discover a Link Between the Brain and the Immune System – University of Virginia
- March 2016: Marine Scientists Discover a New Species of Octopod – NOAA
- April 2016: Global Health and Nutrition Network Showcasing Innovative Ingredients and Solutions – Informat Exhibitions
- May 2016: Elon Musk’s High-Speed Hyperloop – Hyperloop One
- June 2016: Thomas Alva Edison’s Research on Rubber – Edison & Ford Winter Estates
- July 2016: Hippo Roller – Designed by Pettie Petzer and Johan Jonker
- August 2016: The Cassini-Huygens Saturn Mission – NASA
- September 2016: Watts of Love Global Illumination Project – WOL
- October 2016: Infinity Dreaming – Dolphins – Captain Victoria Impallomeni, Dancing Dolphin Spirit Charters, Key West, FL.
- November 2016: A Possible Link Between Energy Drinks and Liver Damage – University of Florida College of Medicine
- December 2016: A Seasonal Miracle – The Story of Green Fingernail Polish – Dr. Walter Campbell, Doctor of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine
- January 2017: Telling Your Actual Age by Telomeres – Elizabeth Blackburn, Carol Greider and Jack Szostak
- February 2017: The Hope Circuit – Psychologist Martin Seligman‘s research on hopelessness and resilience
- March 2017: Exoplanets – NASA discovery that exoplanets located outside our solar system may have liquid surface water
- April 2017: Lake Maracaibo, Venezuela – Area of the World’s most frequent lightning strikes
- May 2017: Production of Blood and Immune Stem Cells in the Lungs – University of California San Francisco
- June 2017: 100% Brain Power (and the full cognitive employment of the brain) – Research by Neurobiologist Tarex Samad, PhD and Pfizer’s research team.
- July 2017: Putting Thunder Back in Thumper and a Lightning Bolt Challenge – A challenge to the CDC and medical insurance providers to make insurance claim data on diseases, as it correlates with regional environmental quality, more readily available to us.
- August 2017: The “Share of Stomach” Concept, which makes us realize the healthy value of being discriminating in what beverages we drink each day.
- September 2017: Max Van Wyk de Vries, Volcano Chaser in Antarctica – Max prepared a compelling report that convinced a university to support his pursuit in discovering volcanoes in a far and frozen corner of the world.
- October 2017: Cecilia Payne-Gaposchkin’s hydrogen discovery and her tenacity in breaking through the glass ceiling in astronomy!
- November 2017: Rob Gourley’s Discovery of Best Tasting Water and how he found a way to hold the high energy state in water ten years ago.
- December 2017: Helen Fox Trowbridge – original American doll designer.
Do you have an Ahh-mazing “AHA!” Discovery to share?
Email firstname.lastname@example.org. This can be any idea or endeavor that may help others in their own revelation or better quality of life. Alternatively, want to nominate someone with special skills of creativity and innovation? Let us know!